Firecrakers safety for children

Holidays of Diwali and other celebrations can be fun times with great memories. But make sure everyone knows about fireworks safety.

What Are the Dangers of Fireworks?

If not handled properly, fireworks can cause burns and eye injuries in kids and adults. The best way to protect your children it to use this safe practises and only allow bursting crackers under adult supervision.  Attend public fireworks displays, and leave the lighting to the professionals.

Follow government guidelines while enjoying firecrackers and watch for time limits.  

Fireworks Safety Tips

 Keep these safety tips in mind while bursting firecrackers:

  • Kids should never play with fireworks. Things like firecrackers, rockets, and sparklers are just too dangerous. If you give kids sparklers, make sure they keep them outside and away from the face, clothing, and hair. Sparklers can reach 1,800°F (982°C) — hot enough to melt gold.

  • Buy only legal fireworks (legal fireworks have a label with the manufacturer’s name and directions; illegal ones are unlabeled), and store them in a cool, dry place. Green fireworks have to be used. 

  • Never try to make your own fireworks.

  • Always use fireworks outside and have a bucket of water and a hose nearby in case of accidents.

  • Steer clear of others setting off fireworks. They can backfire or shoot off in the wrong direction.

  • Never throw or point fireworks at someone, even as a joke.

  • Don’t hold fireworks in your hand or have any part of your body over them while lighting. Wear eye protection, and don’t carry fireworks in your pocket — the friction could set them off.

  • Point fireworks away from homes, and keep away from brush and leaves and flammable substances. 

  • Light one firework at a time (not in glass or metal containers), and never relight a dud.
  • Don’t allow kids to pick up pieces of fireworks after an event. Some may still be ignited and can explode at any time.

  • Soak all fireworks in a bucket of water before throwing them in the trash can.

  • Think about your pet. Animals have sensitive ears and can be very frightened or stressed by  big celebrations. Keep pets indoors to reduce the risk that they’ll run loose or get injured.

If an Injury Happens

If a child is injured by fireworks, immediately go to a doctor or hospital.

If an eye injury happens:

  • Don’t let your child touch or rub it, as this may cause even more damage.
  • Don’t flush the eye out with water or try to put any ointment on it.
  • Cut out the bottom of a paper cup, place it around the eye, and get medical care right away — your child’s eyesight may depend on it.

If your child is burned:

  • Remove clothing from the burned area.
  • Call your doctor immediately.

Fireworks are meant to be enjoyed, but you’ll enjoy them much more knowing your family is safe.

What can we do at The child plus children’s hospital?

Hassle free consultation and best treatment of childhood diseases with holistic approach by experienced paediatricians, Nutritionist, Dentist, physical therapists along with best online support for parenting and childcare.As we know that prevention is better than cure always be vigilant to prevent injuries before they happen. We are expert at diagnosis and treatment of paediatric and childhood illness. Wishing everyone Happy Diwali from thechildplus family. Feel free to contact us if any help regarding your child’s health. We are happy to help.

The child plus Children Helpline  +91 7043 4444 55




Leave a Reply

You Might Also Like

See All